You may have noticed your neighbour adding some period features to the garden or perhaps admired some of the antique stones adding character to a new house. The chances are some or all of these items will have been purchased from a reclamation yard at some stage.
There are so many advantages to buying building materials and other items from reclamation yards, it’s a mystery why more people don’t use them for their building projects.
But before you begin, here are 5 things you should know about buying from reclamation yards.
- They’re environmentally friendlier and a great way to put old materials to use. Save on the pollution generated from manufacturing new materials.
- You’re helping to reduce waste. Everything that has been salvaged has been rescued to put it to better use. Far better that they are used for years to come rather ending up in landfill sites.
- Little of what you find will be perfect even if it’s the perfect thing you need. The materials and antiques have been reclaimed because the original owners no longer saw a use for them. This doesn’t mean that they won’t be far better quality and have more character than anything you buy new.
- Know what you are looking for and do some research. It is wise to know the approximate value of things like fireplaces and stained glass. The price of genuine examples is likely to be considerably more and you will get what you pay for.
- Be creative. Plenty of reclaimed items can be put to new and ingenious uses.